Saturday 20 December 2014

X'mas party


X'mas party was pot luck at someone elses place. But I went crazy and did a roasted pork shoulder, roast potatoes (with the pork fat), brocolli in cheese sauce, blanched long beans in a sesame dressing, a lemon tart, and mayonnaise (for the potatoes).

The roast pork had a better taste than my first try at this. In fact, pretty nice. However, the crackling turned rubbery - possibly as a result of cooking this well before the dinner and then covering it while warm for transport.

The brocolli in cheese sauce was not good. There's something quite off with the sauce (possibly because I added cheese first ahead of the cream), and I should have blanched the carrots before adding them in.

The long beans are nice and the technique is probably repeatable with different hard vegetables. Can keep.

The potatoes were really nice. The pork fat had something to do with it, but I think the technique can be adapted with simpler seasoning.

Lastly, the lemon tart was my first decent pie crust base item. There was a remark that the crust could have been more browned, more crumbly. The blueberry jam on top only added a visual effect and had no real effect on taste (anyway I added too much jam).










No comments:

Post a Comment