Friday 26 December 2014

No chickens were harmed in the making of this movie part 3

No, I have not been eating all these yolks (though apparently yolks are not thought that unhealthy nowadays). They have been sacrificed in the interests of science.

For part 3, I'm using the second egg from part 1. The yolk result is already known. What I'm after is the peel.

The egg has been sitting in the fridge for a few hours now. I took it out, cracked it all over, then let it swim in some iced water for a few minutes, massaging the egg gently.

Result: the egg peels cleanly. In some parts, entire portions of shell fall away naturally. Nice! The only slight issue is that the some of the egg membrane (which normally sticks to the shell) now sticks to the white instead. There is no discernible taste difference, but the look is slightly unexpected (basically parts of the surface look rough).

My conclusion is : the blowtorch is spectacular (I couldn't resist playing with fire), but unnecessary. This method appears to peel quite cleanly provided the white is reasonably held together. I realize that some parties out there in the internet dictate the use of "old eggs", but my purpose is to get the egg I want and peel cleanly without necessarily having to set aside "old eggs".

I'm nearing my target. Now, to get the custardy yolk with firm white outside and peel cleanly. I've already gotten my custardy yolk in part 2, and my nice clean peel in part 3.



No comments:

Post a Comment