Monday 22 December 2014

Useful kitchen equipment

Got new toys.

Background is a large container with a tight lid. I can use it for brining or marinating large items (such as the duck in this picture) or to put bread dough for proving.

Foreground is a plain stainless steel tray (slightly larger than A4 size in my case). I can use it to hold all my prep vegetables, spices, etc food. Or, as in this case, use it as a tray so that I can rub marinate into the duck.

In place of the container, I used to use large sized freezer bags. A waste of plastic and also messy to insert wet stuff in. In place of the tray, I used to use multiple bowls/plates to hold food prep. Also it provides a surface for me to do stuff that I used to use the chopping board (which has no lip for liquids) or large plate for.


2 comments:

  1. The stainless steel tray is certainly useful and relatively cheap.I got a 12x16 inches and 1.25 inch deep for $15. Made in China of course. The container though useful but can occupy a big space in my fridge so a bit of a constraint. The big plastic bag is still my favourite for marinating food. Just did that for my 5kg gammon ham. I found a wholesaler shop beside the beach road hawker center for plastic bags. The 2 gallons one I got 100 for $15. It maybe not economy friendly bUT we can do is to reducensure usage aND recycling them.

    Next cookware for me is a good quality cast iron pot. These thing can last for generations

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Won Soon, didn't know you were into this so much. Seems like a trend (though I think baking is more common).

    I would be careful about BPA in my usage of plastic bags. If I use plastic bags, I go for food grade plastic (i.e. ziplocs etc).

    ReplyDelete