Saturday 26 July 2014

First attempt at home made ice cream

No machine involved.

Used 1:1 ratio of milk and heavy cream plus a generous glug of limoncello and 4 vanilla pods.sugar was 200g for the 400 ml of milk I used. Used 10! Eggs - which is perhaps a overkill (used a chefsteps recipe). I found out later that the number of eggs used can be highly variable and affect the texture of your ice cream.

Another finding : do this at lest once day ahead as the freezing is very slow. 

Result. Tastes nice to me but texture was a bit too soft and melts easily. Next time I will halve the eggs and perhaps use more milk. But I need to remember to hand churn more (this mixture I used is resistant to large ice crystals). 

Adults generally said its nice, but my brothers kids thought it "tastes like medicine" prob due to the limoncello.

R



No comments:

Post a Comment