Tuesday 1 July 2014

An attempt at Modernist Loh Ark


Mixed result. I'm guessing its not a lot better (if any) than braised duck done the normal way - not sure if worth the trouble.

Duck leg and wing. Loh at 74C for about 10 hours (from frozen braise) overnight. The egg and tau kwa was basically just put into the loh after cooking and left in the fridge for 8-10 hours. After coming home, just reheat.

Result:
- meat is fairly tender (not too tender luckily) and tastes ok. In fact, tastes good with a little Shiracha chilli sauce. Looks a bit unprepossessing, but I think that's partly my cutting skill with the leg and wing.

- Egg white almost crumbled into the braise. I think it is partly the egg and partly the fact that loh needs a slightly overcooked egg when I tried to use a just barely cooked one. I also think just leaving it in the braise without cooking is probably not the right thing to do.

- Loh itself is ok, not great, slightly salty - tastes ok with rice.




No comments:

Post a Comment