Saturday 24 September 2016

Weekend dinner and a few notes


Not sure why my last attempt at seafood soup was mediocre, but I got it back. Seems like fennel, leek and some good quality tomato paste (or thick sauce - I used my home made) is the holy trinity here. Plus a touch of fish sauce (not enough to intrude). I also fried the prawn shells in high heat with fennel until I could smell the prawniness before I added the vegetables to sauté.

The French beans were stir fried in a very hot pan with beef tallow (rendered beef fat). Beef tallow was from the fat I cut off from the short ribs when I made beef soup last night. To get the tallow, I chopped the fat into fine strips, mixed it with a bit of baking soda, then steam pressure cooked it in a closed container for 1.5 hrs. 

The pasta was simply made using 2 strips of finely chopped bacon. Then mixed with my home made tomato sauce plus a bit of whipping cream. I have realized that whipping cream in a siphon can is much more convenient. The cream expires in 2 months and I can simply use as little as I like, cleaning the nozzle after use. There isn't that much difference between whipping cream and heavy cream. Only if I wanted to use Creme fraiche then I'd get the "real thing".


No comments:

Post a Comment