Thursday 29 September 2016

Phoon Huat discovery and beetroot rice


Just discovered that Phoon Huat has a branch in Clementi that sells delicatessen stuff and so cheap! I bought 2 bone in pork chops ($22+ a kilo), and 2 Australian sirloin steaks (also in the 20+ range). Also got myself a jar of duck fat ($8.9), and a small container of burrata cheese (forgot the price but I remember very reasonable). The pork chops and the burrata was used in this meal.

I also experimented with a new dish. Rice cooked in beetroot juice and a little butter. Unfortunately, instead of juicing, I tried a short cut of blending the beetroot, but that leaves a bunch of vegetable crud on the rice which is unsightly. Also because dinner was delayed, I stuck the rice in a warm turned off oven to keep - it dried out the rice. But when I tried the rice fresh from the steamer it was pretty good. I'll repeat this again using pure beet juice done with the slow juicer.







No comments:

Post a Comment