Saturday 10 September 2016

Initial attempt at chicken ballotine

Not bad for a first try, I think. Was pretty good even - succulent and very tasty with a good almost papery skin. Can be improved. I had to improvise a little coz I originally wanted to do it over 3 days, but ended up just cooking it right there.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast.html

I combined 3 references above. First Jacques Pepin showed the way in deboning the chicken, so that you can stuff the resultant meat (when you roast this, it's called a ballotine). Then I honoured chefsteps in their crispy roast chicken technique where you slooowly bring the chicken meat to serving temp (to get good texture and juicyness), then blasting it with a super hot oven at the last step to get the crispy brown skin. Then, because I ran short of time, I did the initial low temp roast of the chicken at a higher temp, and consulted serious eats for the optimal time to hold at temp.

First the deboning. Turns out to be not too hairy, though the chicken skin turned out a but more fragile than I expected. I had to do a little creative covering when I packaged it later. I then brined the chicken by injection with 5% salt solution.

The stuffing is worth documenting. The lap cheong was outstanding in the stuffing.
1. slowly saute 1/2 a lap cheong to render the fat out.
2. Then saute chopped onions till translucent.
3. Then add rice and coat in oil. Add sliced garlic and mushrooms.
4. Add in chicken stock and cook the rice. I used slightly more water to make the rice moist for the stuffing.

I trussed the chicken with the stuffing and tied the string. Dried the top as much as possible with paper towels. Thankfully, not much incident with spilled stuffing. The chicken was unevenly thick with some spots just having bare skin and other spots having thick meat - I solved it by thinly slicing some of the thick meat and placing the sliced meat in the thin spots.

Because I ran out of time, instead of cooking at 74C for a few hours, I raised the low temp roasting to 95C. I then monitored the meat temp to 63C and held it there for 10 minutes (as per serious eats for pastuerization) by turning off the oven, opening the door to let some heat out, closing it again (a "human" temperature regulator). The internal temp went to 66C max during this time.

Took the chicken out. Raised the temp to 300C. Brushed a little oil on the chicken. Then put it back into the very hot oven. After a few minutes, the chicken skin is bubbling and starting to brown. I turned on the forced fan in the oven and lowered to 275C. I stood there and monitored still the skin looked right (actually turns out it could have browned a bit more). Rest the chicken before eating.












No comments:

Post a Comment