Friday 3 March 2017

An interesting abject failure

They say that no science goes unrewarded. Even the failures tell you something.

I had a little time on the hands since my school schedule freed up and the wife is out partying. So I went back to do some experimenting after a long hiatus.

I tried to do Chee Cheong Fun.

Turns out I made a stupid mistake of using a stainless steel tray. So the rice sheet just stuck on it and made a most horrid mess. It looked bad. I sprinkled some sesame seed and a little dribble of soya sauce on it, and .... what do you know.... it actually tastes quite good (though the skin's a little thick).

Seems too easy (aside from the rolling bit haha). can try it again with a non stick later. Hmm... or should I do it on baking paper and use that to roll up the sheet?

Amount makes about one sheet on a tray that fits into a 3/4 of a 60cm square steam oven.

recording for a repeat try.

1. 1/2 cup rice flour.
2. about 2-3  tablespoons finely milled glutinous rice flour
3. 1/2 cup water at room temp + 1 tablespoon of neutral veg oil.
4. Salt to taste (about a generous "dash").
5. 1/3 cup boiling water

mix well flour, salt and the water/oil mixture in a bowl.
then pour in the 1/3 cup boiling water.
Mix well.
Set aside for 40 mins
Stir once more, and pour on to well oiled tray in thin layer.
Steam for 4 mins  (with the steel tray, I warmed it up first then steamed 3 mins).

The reference recipe called for 2 kinds of starch. Won't buy that just to experiment. Instead I went with the glutinous rice flour I had from a previous experiment.





No comments:

Post a Comment