Sunday 16 August 2015

My version of the American chili dish

Executed my version of the chili dish. Mw says nice though slightly too peppery.

Unique elements include liberal use of the Cambodian pepper I brought back from my last trip. There's also more veg than meat in this dish.

Browned bacon and minced beef. Took it  out, then sauted a typical mirepoix then followed by sliced garlic and a generous amount of tomato paste and caramelise. Add the beef back plus potatoes, sliced tomato, carrot chunks, an entire coriander stalk (root plus chopped), bell pepper and handfuls of barley, split peas and chickpeas (pressure cooked in a little water for 15 mins). Add a generous amount of crushed pepper. Add a glass of red wine (boil briefly) then half beef stock and half water to just cover everything. Pressure cook for 5-7 mins.

After dishing out, I added a little commit cream (but doesn't add to the taste so I'll dispense with it).

No additional salt was used. Ate with my reheated frozen bread.







No comments:

Post a Comment