Friday 3 April 2015

Failed attempt at making Mozarella

Just got my shipment of citric acid and rennet from Amazon. So keen to try making mozarella.

Result : failed.

My milk has probably been too pasteurized. It did not form much curd and it stayed liquefied. Following internet advice, I heated it up to 110F, let it rest, and managed to salvage some curd. I then compressed it and hung it, to try to extract some shape. Then I was supposed to heat it to 135F in the microwave and then stretch/knead it into a ball. Unfortunately, my microwave is too powerful and I heated it way past 135F into 200+F. My cheese just crumbled.

However, I still got some use out of it. I used in making Eggplant Parmesan, where the texture did not matter.

I will retry. Some possibilities.
  1. source better milk (not sure where I can find it though). It should preferably be raw milk or just lightly pasteurized. Not likely I think.
  2. Try an alternative method that uses milk powder and heavy cream.
  3. Use slightly more citric acid to get the curd going sooner.
  4. Use a water bath instead of a microwave to control the final temp.















No comments:

Post a Comment