Saturday 21 March 2015

Beef pot roast

I saw a 1.9kg slab of Australian Ribeye for $57 at Giant Suntec and I had to buy it. Seems really cheap (almost made me wonder if the price tagger thought this was chuck or something).

Anyway I used about 1.2 kg of it to make a pot roast, sous vide style. I cooked the meat at 63C (didn't want to scare the family with a "bloody" piece of meat) for 10 hours in beef stock, orange juice, pepper, salt and rosemary twigs. Then I coated with pepper and seared it in my cast iron dutch oven.

Sauce is mushroom sauce : sliced mushrooms and onions with some of the braising fluid and creme fraiche.

Result. Texture is good but could be better (possibly a few more hours of cook time). Meat is strangely not as tasty as I would like, rather blander than I expected for some reason. Maybe the price was low for a reason 8-).



No comments:

Post a Comment