Saturday 15 March 2014

Second try at Baguette. Plus Beef Stew to keep it company.

Ok. My second try at doing a baguette. The dough this time is a little wetter because after I kneaded it for a bit, I sprinkled water until it seems ok. Second, I did not use the Silpat, instead I placed it on the pizza stone. I also made the loaf larger and wetted the inside of the dough before I folded it. 

The top of the baguette looks ok. The bottom is a little underdone - i think next time I try placing the baguette on the grating instead so that air gets at the bottom. (Wonder if a steam convection oven might help :-) wishful thinking). Just before dinner, I turned on the top grill in oven and grilled the bottom of the baguette to fix this.

Taste test: Fairly good this time! The crust is pretty good. Inside, the bread is denser than a normal baguette, but otherwise is good.

Stew. Some notes for the record.
  1. Browned beef in a few tablespoons of my duck fat (left over from my roast duck experiment).
  2. Stir fry mirepoix on moderate heat until the veg looks a bit translucent. Then add the tomato paste and garlic and stir fry to let it caramelize. The browned beef bits should be scraped off the bottom and incorporated at this time.
  3.  Didn't have herbs de provence. Inexplicably went missing. Subbed with a tied up bunch of thyme and a large bay leaf.
  4. 1/3 bottle of red wine, 1/4 cup or so cognac and a little chicken stock to balance the fluid.
  5. After initial boil, place the pot in oven at 90C. Since it was in an oven, I went out for lunch - about 90 minutes.
  6. Take out beef and large cut carrots. Remove herbs. Blend the rest smooth. Put the beef back. Tested beef - not quite tender yet (as expected).
  7. Put pot in oven for another hour or so at the same low heat.
  8. Fry mushrooms in butter and add it to stew. Simmer another 20 mins or so.
MW says stew quite good, but not my best.

Looks a bit better than last time. This time after I mixed it and kneaded a little, I sprinkled water and continue kneading until "it looks right".

Finished product. The underside is a little white. Next time I try grill.

Same from different angle.

Haven't done beef stew for some time. Clockwise, mirepoix from celery, carrots, onions and bell pepper, duck fat (left over from my roast duck - I used a few tablespoons), tomatoes, canned tomato paste, beef (lightly floured). The beef was on special - $15+ for about 700+ grams.

Browned beef cubes.

Browned bits just before I do the mirepoix.

Cooking the mirepoix.

Took out the beef and large carrots and the herbs (thyme and bay leaf). Blended the rest and put it back. This sauce has a 1/3 bottle of red wine and quarter cup of cognac in it.
looks all right, but a bit dense perhaps.

One more pic at dinner.












No comments:

Post a Comment