Saturday 15 June 2013

First attempt at teochew style fish cake

Well .. sort of.

Saito fish - check
Lots of punching aka throwing the fish against the bowl - check
Red chili finely chopped - check

But I used finely chopped fennel in the mix, chicken stock instead of water. Also added a tablespoon of (sacre bleu!!) Dijon mustard. Also I shaped everything into a tray and "steamed" it in Bain Marie style.

Results. I think it tastes fine albeit not as bouncy as it should be. Should have punched more. Good enough for me to give away to Mw's dad and my mum.

More feedback. MW thinks its too salty. MW's dad thinks also its not bouncy enough and warns I should stand the fish paste for a while. My mum says use boiling water to cook the cakes, not steam them.





1 comment:

  1. I might try this again. Seems like mw's dad was too polite to say this wasn't up to par (didn't taste teochew at all). Though strangely my mom liked it when she fried the cake.

    ReplyDelete