Sunday 19 May 2013

19th May dinner - pork stew

Made a pork stew today with 1/4 pork belly and 3/4 (unidentified part) lean pork. Very nice, esp the sauce and the melt in the mouth pork belly (if I'm making this for a party, I'd use all pork belly). The trick seems to be a good base (I used my home made tomato soup), browning/searing of the meat, and a longish (3hour) low temp cook in the oven. I also used 1 lap cheong as a bacon replacement (not sure if it made a difference).mw says it tastes fairly similar to my Beef Bourguignon which is not a big surprise since I used much of the same technique (but I don't think its that similar)

I also skinned a japanese eggplant and grilled pieces of it before putting into the pot for the last 30 minutes. Lovely.

The meat goes very well with pickled olives on the side. Wine was a Jacob's Creek Merlot (some of it used in the stew). I've heard people sneer at Jacob's Creek and I didn't buy this (some dinner party gift I think), but its not bad with this meal.

Once again, presentation: fail. 8-)




No comments:

Post a Comment