Saturday 16 May 2015

Family dinner

My 12 year old nephew came to help.

I got him to do some kneading. Also the shorter of the bread is his shaping. He also helped with the veg.

I did curry chicken, a viet style salad, bread and chicken rice. There was also some crab, chicken wings brought over by my brother and wife.

I peeled the chicken skin off the frozen chicken thighs I bought and then extracted the fat from them (pressure cook with 0.5% by weight of baking soda in mason jars for 1.5 hours) to use in the rice dish.

For the curry, I took a supermarket spice mix. Then blended with a couple of tablespoons of oil, extra lemongrass, shallots, ginger and tomato puree (this last to reduce the harshness of the mix). Then I fried the mix in the pot (with a cinnamon stick) for about 7-8 mins before adding chicken and water. I also finely diced half a potato (to thicken the curry). The other potatoes were later cooked separately in the gravy without the chicken after I cooked the chicken (to ensure both are cooked just right). I used a pkt of coconut milk (200ml) to about 500ml of water and 250ml of chicken stock. Tastes quite nice I think. I can repeat this.

For the rice, I sauteed finely sliced shallots, ginger and garlic in my rendered chicken fat. Then stirred in dry rice and folded into the fat before adding water and pandan leaves.

The salad was so-so. I'll have to think about how to do it properly.

I think my bread is improving. In this version, at the last part of the kneading, I added in a sprinkle of yeast. I think the bread developed quite nicely. 



This one had about 4 tablespoons of chicken fat for 2 cups of rice. Also used chicken stock for the fluid.
This one tasted a bit harsh. I leavened it by grinding in fresh shallots, ginger, lemongrass, and tomato puree. The instructions for this said to mix with water and stir it in pot. I ignored it and fried the mix with a bit of oil till fragrant.






The crust had a nice crunch. Inside was tasty.


With the leftover dough, I folded in some butter and honey and baked a loaf. Not too bad either (though it didn't really go with the curry).

No comments:

Post a Comment