Monday 8 February 2016

8 treasure duck


Did a 8 treasures duck for CNY reunion dinner. 

Marinated the duck with a dark soya sauce and five spice mixture overnight. Then deep fried it (just the outside) to set the skin. Stuffed the stuck with "8 treasures" - glutinous rice, gou ji, dried longans, lap cheong, dried mushrooms (and their soak fluid), hae bee, dried scallops, and a Japanese seaweed mix. Added some water to the cavity, then steamed the duck for 2.5 hours. I also steamed the remaining glutinous rice mix in a tray underneath.

Not too bad, but not sure if I'm going to be repeating this. If I do, i'll be lengthening the steam to 3 hours or so for a tenderer meat.

The final result. The steaming has caused the rice to expand and break apart the cavity a little. 

Overnight marinate with five spice and dark soya sauce. The neck is retained for the deep fry.




Deep fry the duck to set the skin. The neck is used to easily manipulate the duck. I forgot that the duck itself would displace the oil so I used too much (it almost overflowed the pot). There was also some initial splattering, but with my hand firmly on the neck, I took it out and slooowly lowered it again.



After deep fry. The duck has a nice even "tan".

Stuff the cavity as fully as possible with the 8 treasures. I used a sharp knife to make the cavity larger toward the breast. I then poured some hot water into the cavity.


Forgot to take pic of the finished product, but here's a pic of the "before". This rice went under the duck to take its drippings.








No comments:

Post a Comment