Saturday 14 June 2014

Dinner at home. Football as dessert.

Ran out of titles. Hence "football". Watched Netherlands slaughter Spain 5-1 from recording. Actually dessert (chocolate cake and ice cream) was provided by my brother.

Anyway, dinner tonight was garden salad, boiled corn with butter and black pepper, french style potato salad, roast chicken thighs (for the kids mostly), Bouf Bourguignon (beef stew french style), and home made baguettes.

Beef Stew was basically to recipe except that instead of small onions, i used carrots. Is my best attempt yet at this dish. I think the long low temp stew time helped (about 100C in the oven for about 2.5 hours). This dish calls for tomato puree, and as usual I now always fry this for a few minutes with the veg/mirepoix to caramelize it (the recipe didn't call for it). I like this technique of caramelizing the puree - it may have helped.

The potato salad was boiled mini potatos (and sweet potatos I had on hand), with Tarragon/Wan Sui for herbs. The sausage was a bit unnecessary (did not add to the dish). Dressing was a mix of a couple of tablespoons of white wine, my djion vinegrette and a few spoonfuls of last weeks pesto. I also had thinly sliced raw celery in there for the crunch.

The chicken thighs was my basic brine + roast in oven at 180 (40 mins), then take out and baste with a BBQ sauce/Dijion mixture and put back in the oven, raising the temp for 5mins + a few mins with broiler.

Baguettes were already premade from last week.










No comments:

Post a Comment